Cargo Crew have been supporting St Mary’s House of Welcome (SMHOW) since 2014 to aide their ongoing community work. Read on to find out what SMHOW do for the local Fitzroy community, about Cargo Crew's involvement and how you can help this incredible charity!
Who are St Mary’s House of Welcome?
Located in the heart of Fitzroy, Melbourne, SMHOW provides food, shelter and kindness to people living on the margins of society experiencing homelessness, poverty and mental illness. St Mary’s was born in 1960 when the Daughters of Charity observed the increasing demand for a safe place to serve food for people most in need.
St Mary’s House of Welcome open their doors to over 200 disadvantaged people on a daily basis. As the name suggests, they are a point of welcome and refuge to people in the community who often don’t have another place to go. At St Mary’s, they can feel safe and accepted, and most importantly have access to services that can help them become more connected and feel safer, healthier and more hopeful.
Some of the services available at St Mary’s include:
• Daily meals with table service by volunteers in the St Mary’s dining room
• Free showers, towels and toiletries
• Emergency relief (such as food hampers, clothing and accommodation assistance)
• Activities to foster social inclusion including outings and gardening
• Free monthly optometry and haircuts
• Computer training and internet access
• Centrelink mobile visits
• Enrol to vote days and mobile polling booth
• Classes on food preparation and healthy eating
• Pathways to employment programs
• The Big Give – Christmas day celebrations open to all
Cargo Crew x St Mary’s House of Welcome
Cargo Crew have been delighted to provide support to St Mary’s since 2014. We have worked on several local initiatives with the dedicated volunteers at St Mary's and have designed and donated their signature pink aprons that all volunteers wear while working in the kitchens.
We designed and produced a range of tea-towels and merchandise St Mary's were able to sell to raise funds which flew out the door! Fitzroy locals in particular adored the pieces which represented a beloved resource in their community.
Realising the potential, in 2017 Cargo Crew have taken the bar up a notch and are taking our St Mary’s sponsorship to the entire Cargo Crew customer base. We have introduced the following fundraising measures:
• Cargo Crew have designed and developed an exciting range of St Mary’s branded merchandise. All proceeds will go directly to St Mary’s House of Welcome. Shop the range here.
• You can donate straight to St Mary's House of Welcome from the DONATION button at checkout, thanks to the generous contribution of our website partners Balance Internet.
How can you help?
St Mary’s accepts monetary donations, but additionally donations of goods such as groceries, toiletries and clothing can be equally as helpful to their cause.
If you are local to Melbourne, St Mary’s also require the support of volunteers to help with daily tasks. Find out how you can get involved here: www.smhow.org.au. Your help and donations provide food, shelter and essential services to those experiencing homelessness in Melbourne.